Every year the Alameda Summer Art Fair & Maker Market hosts an all ages coloring contest with amazing prizes provided by Flax!
Brought to you by Alameda Natural Grocery.
Important contest information below. Terms and conditions apply. See rules and contest details below.
EXACT TIMES AND DATES… are subject to change without notification. Contest entry must be on the wall by 1pm to be considered. Click to enlarge.
Coloring Page Artists:
Left to right, Dave Sylvester, Jessica Warren & Wesley E. Warren, Wesley. E. Warren
Get a head start, download and print a coloring sheet. Must be on the official wall before 1PM to be entered. See detailed rules below.– –
Coloring books and monster books will be available to purchase by Dave Sylvester at this year’s art fair, visit 3 Dot Art Gallery for more information.
Visit Friendly Lord Zondar or go see him in real life perched over the masses at Flax Art & Design
*How To Play
- Color your entry at the fair or bring it in!
- Hang it on the Official Studio 23 Coloring Contest Entry Wall!
- Have your entry on the wall no later than 1PM
One winner per age category. All winners will be announced between 1:00PM-3PM Must be present to win.
* Meet The Judges!
Patti Goldstein @goldsteinpatti
Biography of Patti Goldstein
Patti Goldstein was born in Buffalo, New York. Her art is as eclectic as her
career. She has been a bicycle messenger, radiation therapist, expressive arts therapist, hospital chaplain, interfaith minister, eldercare activity specialist, art teacher and artist. She taught art to homeless youth at Youth Spirit Artworks in Berkeley, California and is now teaching adults with different abilities at Stepping Stones Growth Center in San Leandro, California in their Artful Steps Program and has facilitated many groups in mental health day programs and hospitals. Patti has an MA in Clinical Psychology, specializing in Grief Therapy and Art Therapy, from John F. Kennedy University and has a BFA from California College
of the Arts. She received her Clinical Pastoral Education from Mt. Diablo Medical Center in Concord, California and she was ordained as an Interfaith Minister at the Chaplaincy Institute for the Arts and Interfaith Ministry in Berkeley, California.
Patti’s art has been shown at The Bedford Gallery’s “World of Frida” show in Walnut Creek, CA, The Day of the Dead showing at Hayward Historical Society, ArtVale and Creative Framing and Gallery in Oakland and Studio 23 in Alameda.
Patti designed and brought to life the HOPE WALL at the John Muir/Mt. Diablo’s Behavioral Health Center, Concord, CA
Trish Henry has been playing around with creating things all her life. She currently is working on a novel. She has worked in video, computer art, design, the web, glass art, drawing and painting! Trish has taught college-level courses in video, bookmaking, writing, and pop-up cards. She currently lives in Concord, Calif.
* More Contest Details
Ages 1-5, Ages 6-10, Ages 11-16, Ages 16+ (4 winners total!)
* One entry per person.
* Winners must be present to receive their prize.
* Submissions must be posted to the wall by 1pm.
* No entries will be accepted after 1pm.
* Winners will be called out live by the DJ between 1:00pm-3pm.
* Be near the DJ Booth to listen for your name!
(If you have already left, your prize will go to the next winner in line)
* Names and email must be clearly printed on the coloring sheets. (Kids have your parents help!)
* Must be the official 2019 Art Fair & Maker Market coloring sheet.
* Give your entry to a judge to post on the wall or post it yourself!
Note: At the fair and can’t find anyone to post your entry? Find some tape, a clear spot on the official entry wall and hang it yourself!
We will leave some masking tape out on the coloring table for you to use.
Entries posted to the wall after 1PM will not be accepted.
We will be collecting entries off the wall at 1 sharp!
Prizes vary. Each bag is unique. All contain a $50 gift cards as well.
Coloring Contest “Hall Of Fame”
The Mayor Trish and Studio 23 Artist Wesley E. Warren announce “The Coloring Contest Winner” from last year! Maybe it will be you this year!
Read On: Judges & Volunteers Only
Things get a little nuts during judging time. This schedule is to help the contest go more smoothly for everyone.
Before 1pm (Times are subject to change without notification)
- Help keep coloring pages and art supplies organized on the official coloring contest table in front of Studio 23.
- Masking tape will be placed on the table and just inside the Studio doors to hang entries on the wall.
- After an entry is complete, tape it to the wall. (or direct the parent where to tape it up).
- One entry per person.
- DJ will announce reminders to get entries on the wall by 1pm throughout the day.
- Have prize bags already set up at the DJ booth in a box.
- Repeat the DJ announcements at the coloring table so the kids can hear. (Basically giving the kids a countdown)
- Post A Sign: CONTEST IS OVER! Winners announced at the DJ booth. Place signs on coloring table and the wall.
- Pull down entries being careful to gently and completely move the tape before stacking into age groups. (TBA)
1:30-2pm (Times are subject to change without notification)
- Pull entries off the Official Studio 23 Coloring Contest Entry Wall.
- Be careful when pulling down entries and pulling off tape to not rip the pages.
- Make sure tape is completely off the backs so pages do not stick together once stacked.
- Divide the pages into 4 separate stacks by age category. Use a paper clip to keep them divided.
- Place a small gold star on the top corner of each age groups winning page. That will be a total of 4 stars. 1 star per age category.
- Layer the 4 stacks you created by age category, youngest to oldest.
- Hand the final winning entries in order of youngest to oldest to the DJ to announce winners.
There will only be one winner. However there will be runner-ups for each age category for participants that do not show up or have already left the fair. Make sure you have about two runner-up’s in each age category. Use post its to mark the winners and runner-ups.
Stack 1: Ages 1-5 (Winner plus 2 runner-ups)
Stack 2: Ages 6-10 (Winner plus 2 runner-ups)
Stack 3: Ages 11-16 (Winner plus 2 runner-ups)
Stack 4: Ages 16+ (Winner plus 2 runner-ups)
2:00-2:30pm (Times are subject to change without notification)
- DJ announces the contest winners are being announced.
- DJ thanks Flax Art Supply in Oakland for the awesome prize bags!
- Hopefully Jess can be at the DJ booth to hand out prize bags.
- DJ announces the first winner.
- Wait a total of 1-3 minutes for that winner. Try calling out the name several times over the mic. If it’s a no show, go to the runner-up for that age category.
- Make sure someone is ready with a camera to grab a photo of the winner with their Flax bag.
- After we finish we would love for you to continue to help out at the kids coloring area. Kids still like to be coloring all day even when the contest is over. Just make sure they all understand the actual contest is over. Signs should be posted everywhere at this point that it is over.
Note: Winners can leave with their winning entry after their photo has been taken. Be sure to get a close-up shot of the winning coloring page too (We need name & age info for later on).
Winners and entries will be posted to the Alamedaartfair.com facebook event page and website.
2018 Coloring Contest Winners! Photos by Nick Wadler
More coming soon!